Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Challenge for Quilt Guild

After procrastinating for as long as possible, I decided to complete the challenge for my quilt guild. Several months ago, we were given a fat quarter of black, red, and metallic gold. The challenge was actually fairly simple; the final project had to be a quilt, no larger than 24" x 24", use the fat quarter provided, and be Christmas related.

My first thought was to use an Anita Goodesign wreath embroidery design and replace the stitched wreath with an applique using the fabric provided. Yeah, well, Sunday night, I decided that was not worth trying to do on my short time limit. (Has to be turned in tonight, which is Tuesday).


As you can see from the picture, I think it turned out pretty good. I have not clipped my threads yet, but you get the idea. I cannot wait to get the upgrade for my Janome MC11000....it cuts the jump threads!!!

Honestly, it does not have enough quilting. I only quilted around the black fabric. I did use metallic thread, so I should get bonus points for that. I even used a decorative stitch around the binding. The embroidery took longer than all of the sewing/quilting involved.

I may not win an award, but I'm still proud of what I turned out. What do you think?

No comments: